Hannah Hoyt (1805-1871)
Courtesy, New Jersey
Historical Society, 1837
In 1837, Hannah Hoyt began teaching a group of young
girls in a
house on lower Albany Street in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Her reputation
grew, especially among the socially prominent families, who sent their
daughters both as boarders and day students. In 1847, she moved her
school to a three-story Georgian building on George and Paterson Street.
Hoyt practiced“t he memorizing system” of education because she
believed that “accuracy of expression” was “inductive to accuracy
of learning, and vice versa…” One of her former students remembered
her as “genial and sympathetic and often delightfully humorous.”
The school closed upon her death.