21st Armoured Regiment
(The Governor General's Foot Guards)

4th Canadian Armoured Division


Battle Honours, WWII

Falaise, Falaise Road, The Laison, Chambois, The Scheldt, The Lower Maas, The Rhineland, The Hochwald, Veen, Bad Zwischenahn, North-West Europe, 1944-1945.

Historical Sketch

Details of the Regiment were placed on active service on 01 September 1939 for local protective duties. The Regiment mobilized The Governor General's Foot Guards. C.A.S.F. on 24 May 1940. The Regiment was converted to armour and redesignated the 21st Armoured Regiment (The Governor General's Foot Guards) on 26 January 1942. It formed a part of 4th Armoured Brigade of 4th Canadian Armoured Division. It embarked for the United Kingdom on 23 September 1942. As a result of the reorganization of the Canadian armoured divisions in early 1943, the Regiment formed a part of 4th Armoured Brigade in 4th Canadian Armoured Division. It landed in Normandy on 25 July 1944 and fought throughout North-West Europe as part of 4th Canadian Armoured Division. It was disbanded on 31 January 1946. A 2nd Battalion served in the Reserve Army.


Unit Serial And Arm Of Service Flash 1942-1943


Unit Serial And Arm Of Service Flash 1943-1945


Formation Sign, 4th Canadian Armoured Division


See Also:

The Governor General's Foot Guards: Gallantry Awards


Return to REGIMENTS page


Site Map

Steel Chariots
Title Page
Updates Commander's
Cupola
Armour Profiles Armoured
Regiments
Tactical
Markings
The Fort Garry
Horse
Evolution of
Armd Formations
Death of a
Battlegroup
Panthers Demise
For Valour Ram Badger Armour Graphics Churchills at
Dieppe
Formation Patches
Photo Credits Le Mesnil-Patry Gallantry Awards Battle of Keppeln Links

Chris Johnson, 1997