Home    Units

History of 163 Battery

The Battery was formed in 1950, along with 16 Field Regiment, as a major part of New Zealand's contribution to the Korean War. In January 1951, guns from this battery fired the Regiment's first rounds in that war and, in July 1953, fired the Regiment's last rounds in Korea. During the Korean War, 163 Battery (as part of 16 Field Regiment) supported

  • 27th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade,
  • 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade Group, and
  • 2nd United States Infantry Division.

In 1954, 16 Field Regiment, including 163 Battery, was dis-established and when the Regiment was re-established in 1958, 163 Battery was reformed as a troop equipped with 25 pounder guns.

In 1961, 163 Battery moved to Waiouru and was used mainly as a support battery to the School of Artillery. In 1963 it was again disbanded.

On 4 Dec 1993, 163 Battery was re-established in Waiouru, using the British 105mm light gun. In 2001, members of the Battery formed part of New Zealand's peacekeeping effort in East Timor, and in November of that year the Battery moved to Linton.

For an explanation of the origin of the name "The Mighty Ducks" see The Duck Incident.

163 Battery    |    16 Field Regiment    |    Korean War    |    Home