Lake Zoar

Fairfield County, Connecticut

975-acre Lake Zoar was created by the Stevenson Dam between the town of Monroe on the west and the town of Oxford on the east.


pre-colonial times  --  Zoar Lake now covers the original village of the Pootatuck Indians.

1919  --  Stevenson Dam on the Housatonic River built by the Connecticut Light and Power Company to produce hydroelectric power.

The Power-house is located on the Monroe side with an output capability of 28,750 kilowatts.

On the Fairfield County part of Lake Zoar:

Paugusett State Forest (Great Quarter Road)
Old Bridge Road
Border of towns of Newtown and Monroe
Bridge Road
Stevenson Dam


Back to the w. Connecticut Page
Back to the Main Page