K-90 Amphib tank
As the T-70 and T-80 light tanks had ineffective guns, they could not be used in roles where they would confront enemy armor. For less demanding scounting missions, the BA-64B armored car could be used instead. However, the RKKA was still interested in reconaissance tanks, and in 1944 the NKTP ordered a design team to develop a 76mm gun-armed tank with amphib capabilities. A prototype named K-90 was built, but trials showed that more work was needed. This was undertaken by N. Shashmurin at the Kirovskiy factory after it had been re-established in Leningrad in 1945, and it eventually led to the PT-76 postwar amphib tank.