[Ealge with Flag]

In 1777 this well known Corps consisted of four troops of light dragoons, and seven companies of infantry, under command of Major Barmore. Later they became famous under command of Colonel James De Lancey of West Farms. The dragoons under Col. De Lancey were recruited from some of the best families in Westchester County and New York. They were organized for patrol duty in Westchester County, and served there throughout the War.

They also became known as the "Cow Boys" from their additional duty of bringing in cattle and other supplies to the British Army in New York City. At first their dress uniform consisted of cocked felt hats, green coats faced with white, white waistcoat and breeches, and brown cloth leggings. The infantry companies retained this dress throughout the War.

The light dragoons, however, in 1780, were furnished with leather helmets with bearskin crest, riding jackets with black collars and cuffs for duty, and the accoutrements of the regular light dragoons of the British Army.

From the organization of this Corps in 1776, the discipline was strict and the men well drilled, having some of the regular troops of the Line encamped near them who were joined in their maneuvers as an example for the correct movements.

De Lancey's Refugees or the "Cowboys," 1780

De Lancey's Refugees or the

[SOURCE: Uniforms of the Armies in the War of the American Revolution, 1775-1783. Lt. Charles M. Lefferts. Limited Edition of 500. New York York Historical Society. New York, NY. 1926.]

Uniforms of the American Revolution | Next Page | Uniforms Index | Return to Main Menu

[email protected]

Copyright Notice
Copyright © 1999, Sons of the Revolution in the State of California

 HTML 4.0 Verified!