The Diary of  Aubrey L. Whetton

1st Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Company E

Contributed by Barry Iglinsky
Transcribed by Debbie Ferguson, Photographs by Brenda Sanders

Click here for a roster of Company E, and of the regimental staff


The First Missouri Volunteer Infantry was typical of many American military units. After being mustered for service, the unit was sent to Camp Thomas, which was located on the Civil War battlefield of Chickamauga. This is where the unit would remain throughout the Spring and Summer of 1898, fighting the enemies of boredom and disease.  As conditions of disease began to grow, the troops at Camp Thomas were disbursed. At this time, the First Missouri was sent home. The unit never left the United States.

This particular diary was kept by Aubrey L. Whetton. In the diary, he recorded the items that happened to him and three of his close friends who managed to stay together during their time in the service. On days when Whetton was unable to keep up with diary, one of the other men apparently took up the duty. The diary is interesting for the items of daily life that are recorded in the diary. Items such as drill, inspections, guard duty and sightseeing fill the pages of the diary. One very interesting note is the distribution of uniforms in early June, where the trousers of all of the men were collected, and uniform trousers past out....except that there were not enough to go around. This was typical of the supply problems that faced the volunteer army. The diary is also significant and typical in that it does not note any of the major events taking place in the war. Not even the armistice of August 13, 1898 is recorded. Also, it is interesting that, in spite of the major problems with disease at Camp Thomas, especially as the time wore into July, there is very little reference to this highly publicized issue.

Aubrey L. Whetton

The Diary:

If this diary should be lost finder be good enough to see it be returned to some member of Co. E 1st Mo. V.

This diary is kept conjointly by the undersigned, beginning at the time we left Jefferson Barracks St. Louis Mo. until the end of our enlistment or until we are discharged from the service of the United States as Volunteers of Mo. 1st Reg’t Co. E.

Aubrey L. Whetton
William Harris
John W. Cody
Calvin Frankel

May 4th, 1898

Left Armory Hall 11th & Pine Sts St. Louis and arrived Jefferson Barracks at 4.30 and pitched camp that evening and did not have supper until 9.00 P.M.

There was a continuous rain, flood of visitors and good grub furnished by mothers, sweethearts and friends of ours and up to the time of our mustering into the U.S. service there was nothing eventful but on that day, the 13th of May, there was a peculiar number of circumstances which seemed to entwine the number thirteen into every thing that occurred that day.

It was a Friday, the thirteen, and it was 4:13 when our company was sworn in by Lieut. Hardeman of the 10th U.S. Cavalry and that evening when we boys sat at supper in our tent with Mrs. Harris, Mrs. Berry (Harris’ sister), Mrs. West & Mabel Harris (also Will’s sisters), Susie West, Harry Berry, Kate Snider, Minnie Lawrence, Will Harris, Whetton, Cody, Baird & Frankel which made thirteen at the table.  Six days elapsed before we left Camp Stephens (so named in honor of Gov. of State) filled with doubts when we would leave and where we would go.

At Barracks

On the morning of Thursday the 19th we learned that we were to go to Chickamauga Pk Ga. And left that eve in a shower of rain which ended before we embarked at the Barracks Station with a rainbow as perfect and beautiful as any of us had ever seen.  We had hot coffee and some lunch and waited three hours before train was switched in.

Cody was one of party who made coffee, Harris being left out on account of having to guard a case of beer for officers until train left.

Train left Barracks at 7:30; that is our section left at that time the regiment being divided into three sections.

Frankel on guard on train that night.

Train did not stop at Union Station but stopped in 18th St. yards and crowds congregated about the train looking for friends & relations and were successful bidding them goodbye.

We stopped at E. St. L. long enough to change engines and proceeded on our way.

May 20, 1898

Reached Cairo, Ill. 4:30 a.m.  Nothing eventful between Cairo & Nashville, except crossing Ohio river which in the early morning made a beautiful sight but this was about all there was of interest between Cairo and Nashville.  The scenery at some points was something to be enjoyed and this combined with the ovation rec’d along the route made the trip interesting.  People presenting the boys flowers.  There seemed a dearth of pretty girls through the south as we only saw one or two that were really attractive.

Passed Fair Grounds at Nashville where the soldiers encamped there gave us hearty cheers climbing a ten foot fence to get a chance to see our train go by.

Reached Chattanooga at 10:35 p.m. and ran into station for an all night stay.  Capt. Marquardt took the boys who were not asleep out for a walk and incidentally for a glass of beer.  Cody & Whetton were in the number, Frankel being asleep and Harris on guard.  Slept on train all night and dreamt of Chickamauga Pk.

May 21, 1898

Left for Chickamauga at 9:00 o’clock and saw plainly Lookout Mt. and this started the boys talking about the Civil War.  Capt. Marquardt sat in our seat for fifteen minutes and talked with us.  As the train rolled on we came nearer the mountains and could plainly see a small sized city on its top; also saw cable cars going up and down and we all longed for a chance to get out and make the ascension but this was out of the question and must be left for some future date.

Three or four miles out of Chattanooga our train stopped and all kinds of rumors spread from coach to coach as to the cause.  After waiting about one hour we were allowed to get off our coach and take exercise.  The boys strolled off in directions of farm houses near the track.

Whetton, Cody, Frankel got some eggs and pie and heard organ played by one of our boys at one of these houses and then started back for train.

Frankel wandered on to a house where some of the company were singing and playing and went in.  After balance of boys went he made love to youngest daughter and as a result had a good dinner of cold meat, potatoes, salad, strawberries, cake & milk.

May 21, 1898 (continued)

After getting back to train learned there had been a rear-end collision between first section of our regiment and passenger train.

It was first stated that 6 men and a number of horses had been killed but we learned that 1 man Gen. Walker of Co. H. was the only man killed.  H. Brolaski of Co. H and another man of same Co. were seriously injured but would recover.

After wreckage had been cleared from track we proceeded on our way to the Park and arrived at Lytle Station at 4:50, marched into Park about ¾ of a mile and bivouaced[sic] on Snodgrass Hill that night.

We are all longing for a change from corn beef, bread and coffee but will not get anything else until permanent camp is struck.

May 22, 1898

Woke up about 5 a.m. and found blankets did not make a very soft bed and we four boys felt rather stiff.

Had a dose of corn beef coffee and bread and then waited for orders for march to permanent camp.  At 10:00 a.m. assembly sounded and 15 minutes later we were on the way and it was a hot, dusty weary march.

After a mile or so the bugle sounded sick call and hospital corps became busy as men began droping[sic] out, we lost, or rather one of our men (Luzzie) dropped out.  We stopped for a 5 minute rest and some boys went in search of water Cody having a hot chase to catch us having gone a distance to get his canteen filled.

Later on we stopped for lunch and then moved on to camp.

Arrived at previously selected point and about two hours afterward our tents were up and each man designated (6 to a tent) to a certain tent.  We four remaining together with Sergt. Groshorn & Kerbish.

Supper at 7:45 and Harris, Cody and Frankel with 16 other boys started to find the river to take a swim guided by two boys who claimed to know the way but proved to be poor guides and we became lost but succeeded at last in finding the river and enjoyed short swim, having to get back to camp at 10 o’clock we did not have long to stay so we started back about 9:20 but after tramping for about ¾ of an hour we had to confess we were lost.  We ran into a detail the 12th New Hampshire Reg. who took us to the officer of the day who released us from arrest gave us direction and escort out of his guard lines.  We plodded along till we ran into the 2nd Mo. guard lines where we were compelled to except[sic] the courtesy of their officers of the day and remained in their guard house for the night on account of rain.  He giving us certificate to our Capt of having reported.

May 23, 1898

We had some difficulty in finding our camp this morning but got in in time for roll call and mess.  Cody is still on kitchen duty.  Whetton begins today and Harris has also been detailed to same duty.  Frankel ran a piece of rock in his foot while swimming last night.  We are having pretty poor grub to eat especially so today.  Today we all wrote home but none of us have yet received any mail.  Harris, Cody and Whetton had hair clipped short.

May 24, 1898

Uneventful day.

May 25, 1898

This is as much an uneventful day as yesterday except we had fresh beef for the first time since we left Jefferson Barracks.

May 26, 1898

At 8:00 Harris, Carroll and Frankel went over to the 1st Ill. to meet a friend of Frankel’s and after meeting him went over to the 1st Ohio about 4 miles from our camp to find Harris’ cousin whom he had never seen.  We found him and also their canteen which resulted disastrously to Harris’ pocket-book. We remained there a couple of hours and May 26, 1898 then started home.  They had an awful tired feeling coming back and laid down to rest and fell asleep.  Got home in time for mass.

May 28, 1898

Nothing of interest today.  Cody, Whetton & Harris were with some D.C. boys who gave our company a serenade.  Got straw for tents today.

May 29, 1898

Whole company was vaccinated today.  Frankel on guard duty.

May 30, 1898

Nothing eventful.  Harris on guard got stuck for 36 instead of 24 hours.

May 31, 1898

Started issuing to our Reg. new uniforms.

June 1, 1898

First battallion[sic] drill without arms.

June 2, 1898

One of Co. M boys was drowned today.  Cooks went out on a strike but went back upon request of Capt.  Letters are coming for us very freely.

June 3, 1898

This morning we had about a three mile march for the purpose of inspection by Gens. Wade and Breckenridge and staff.  Col. Grant and temporary brigadier-Gen’l Batdorf were also there.  There were about seven thousand men on the field.  Our Reg. had the post of honor to the extreme right of the division.  Col. Grant and Lieut. Col. Cavender had a war of words.  It is rumored Cavender was placed under arrest.  Cody & Whetton did not go on parade stayed back to get dinner Cody upsetting nearly all the gravy from a nice roast.  We had an elegant dinner today.

June 4, 1898

Old uniforms inspected by U.S. Army officer.  Quarters all cleaned up ready for inspection.  All our labor was in vain as inspector did not even look at our nicely cleaned street and tents.

Some of the company given blouses and trousers but some of the boys only got blouses.  There were not enough trousers to go round.  All had to give up their old uniforms and those boys who did not get trousers are in a sad predicament as there were only 16 pairs of old trousers not condemned and these were picked out hurriedly by those who came first.  As a consequence Whetton is parading around camp with a blanket around him.  Harris & Frankel were fortunate to get old trousers.  Cody got new ones.

Capt. Kreidler of Co. “73” died at hospital at Chattanooga.

F. P. Harris was sent to the guard house for non obeyance of noncom on the 2nd.

June 5, 1898

Fine dinner.  Visiting day in camp.  Church services held and attended by many of Co. E.  Blankets issued to each man.  Persistant[sic] rumors going the rounds that our Reg. and 14th NY are to leave Thursday.

Sergt. Williams has been ill for three or four days and this evening was taken by ambulance to Division hospital.

Frankel on guard.

June 6, 1898

Nothing eventful.

June 7, 1898

Had another issue of clothing today.  Shoes, underclothes and hats, equipment nearly complete now except rifles.

Nothing eventful.  Whetton’s arm is growing very sore from vaccination.

June 8, 1898

Had a hot, long company drill.

June 9, 1898

Our chief cook went to town this a.m. to buy some extras for mess, money was our proceeds from profits from regimental canteen.  While eating dinner, fire call was sounded and the regiment was sent to extinguish it.

June 9, 1898 (continued)

Ran about ¾ of a mile and stopped the fire from spreading over the fields but did not try to subdue forest fire.  Sergt Williams returned from hospital.  Boys gave him a hearty reception.  Late in the evening several companies were again called out on account of the fire.

June 10, 1898

Had another hard regimental drill this a.m.  Whetton’s arm is no better, it is in very bad condition.

June 11, 1898

Sham Battle.  Two divisions taking part.  18,000 men engaged.

June 12, 1898

Quiet Sunday except heavy storm in the afternoon.

Tree struck by lightning in rear of Col. Tent.  One sentry knocked senseless and two mules killed.

June 13, 1898

Nothing eventful.  Rain.

June 14, 1898

Inspection.  Co E had cleanest and neatest camp in regiment.  Regimental parade in afternoon.  Rain inteferred[sic].

June 15, 1898

Regiment received word that Battallion[sic] adjutants appointed by Gov. Stephens would not be recognized by the War Dept.

2nd Battallion[sic] changed to the Third.  Co. E holds extreme left of line and in battle will be on the left flank.  3rd Batt. is under Major Fuller of the 8th Cavalry.  Rain.

June 16, 1898

Nothing eventful.  F. P. Harris and Cockran sent to guard house for not answering roll call.  Rain.

June 17, 1898

Rain.  Nothing eventful.  66 recruits arrived from St. Louis.  Co. E got 2 of them.

June 18, 1898

Division review postponed.  11 new tents given to each company.  We four have tent No. 13.  Harris in charge.  Rain.  Ponchos issued.

June 19, 1898

Rained slightly.  Good dinner.  Many of Co. E attended church services at 2nd Nev.  Whetton stabbed in the back by Hasselle during quarrel over a belt.  Wound very painful but not dangerous.  Hasselle put under arrest and charge of assault to do great bodily June 19, 1898 harm made against him.  Whetton’s wound dressed by Dr. Crosby at regimental dispensary.  Feelings very high against Hasselle among the company.  Threats of lynching prominent.  Eight new rookies assigned to our company.

June 20, 1898

Whetton passed very restless and painful night.  Frankel, Harris and Cody kept watch by turns during night.  Dr. Crosby dressed wound about eleven o’clock and injected morphine to ease pain and cause sleep.

Continual visits and inquiries to our tent by boys of company each trying to do the most for Whetton.  Whetton better but unable to talk much on account of pain in right chest.  Shows a little difficulty in breathing and can only rest in one position.  Visited by Dr. Crosby who examined dressing on wound and promised to return later and put on fresh dressing.  Some talk of sending Whetton to division hospital but finally kept him in tent.

Brigade review.  Only 14th NY and 1st Nev. took part.  First drill with guns since leaving barracks as guns were only issued Sunday.  Capt. Marquardt traded our new rifles which were Springfield models of 1873 for Springfield models of 1884, a number of which were brought from St. Louis by two different companies.

June 21, 1898

YMCA tent erected and services held in the evening.

June 22, 1898

Frankel and Harris on guard.  Five new recruits Arthur Locke among the number.

June 23, 1898

Nothing eventful.

June 24, 1898

Hasselle tried by general court martial.  Cody and Whetton gave testimony.  Harris and Frankel not needed.  Court reached a decision but will not give it until Monday, June 27, at 9 o’clock.  Entertainment given by Co. M.  Meeting held at YMCA tent.  Four new recruits.

June 25, 1898

Whetton improving.  Walking around.  Had a sham battle this a.m.  Left camp at 4:30 a.m. and marched about 5 or 6 miles where our regiment, the 14th NY and the 2nd Neb. engaged with others against other regiments of Wade’s Div.  Our side won.  Our company took extreme left of firing line but were not engaged in action.

Got back at 10:30 a.m.

June 26, 1898

Sunday – Nothing eventful except Reg. Army Officer inspected our arms and it seems they are alright and we will keep them.  Capt. Marquardt told Whetton and Frankel we would be away from here by Thursday.

June 27, 1898

Nothing eventful.

June 28, 1898

Began sighting drill this a.m.  Several good averages were made by our company.  Had only company drill this a.m.  Nothing eventful.

June 29, 1898

Hasselle rec’d a sentence of 15 days hard labor and $5.00 fine.  Sentence was read out to entire regiment at dress parade which was held that evening at Grant’s Hdqrs.

June 30, 1898

Supposed to have an inspection and to sign muster rolls but this was deferred.  Harris and Frankel on guard.  Frankel had his first conversation with a woman for six weeks.

July 1, 1898

Muster roll signed, we expect to get paid tomorrow.  Inspection took place this p.m.  No drills today.

July 2, 1898

Inspection of arms in the a.m., also expectations of being paid.  These were not realized.  Dress Parade at 5:30.

Recruiting officers returned from St. L. Regiment now filled out to 1,200 men.

Harris rec’d word he was an uncle “twice.”  Niece born on the 30th.

July 3, 1898

Usual company inspection of quarters.  Rec’d our new rifles – Springfields.  Dress Parade at 5:30.

July 4, 1898

Boxes for each of us arrived from our homes.  Plenty of good things to eat.  Were paid in the afternoon two months pay.  Rained slightly.

July 5, 1898

Nothing important – Harris & Frankel made an ineffectual attempt to get to Lytle but were stopped by provost guard on outskirts of park.  Rtd home about 11:30 after successfully passing twelve guards.

July 6, 1898

Nothing important.  Harris on out-post duty at Wade’s hdqrs.

July 7, 1898

Major Fuller rtd to command of 3rd Batt.  Frankel on guard.  34 prisoners in guard house.

July 8, 1898

Nothing of interest.

July 9, 1898

Usual regimental inspection.  Talk from Maj. Fuller upon relative position of officers and men.  Rained in the evening.

July 10, 1898

Sunday.  After dinner went swimming and from there went over to 2nd Neb. and had our pictures taken – individually and in a group.

Jack and O.B. quit as cooks today.  Capt. trying to persuade them to stay.  No dress parade today.  Nine boys missing at roll call today having gone to Chattanooga without leave.

This is a photograph, aparently of the four men - Whetton, Harris, Cody and Frankel - posing during kitchen duty

July 11, 1898

Had a battallion[sic] mock attack this a.m.  Major Fuller commanding.  The Major complimented us upon the excellency of the movements.  A regimental plain battle fought this afternoon with 3rd and part of 2nd Bat. as enemy.  The rest of regiment attacking us in our entrenched positions.  We won the battle.  Dress parade immediately following the battle.  Cody and Whetton still in the kitchen.  Boys still in Chattanooga.

July 12, 1898

Another battallion[sic] mock attack upon a supposed enemy holding road.  Cody & Whetton consent to cook breakfast but walk out immediately after target practice after dinner in which new guns were fired.  Some pretty good shooting done.  Dress parade in the evening.  Guard mount changed from 8:00 a.m. to 6:20 p.m.  Boys returned from Chattanooga tonight & are confined to quarters.

July 13, 1898

Raining hard.  No roll call this a.m.  Breakfast late.  Mrs. Moose and Ethel visited us about two o’clock having come from St. Louis on the Christian Endeavor.  Conventional excursion to Nashville.  We all were glad to see somebody from home.  Ethel took our pictures in a group in front of our tent.  Jack and Obe went to Chattanooga tonight right after retreat.

July 14, 1898

Rained all night and at intervals all day.  Co. E was only company out drilling but rain cut short drills both in a.m. and afternoon.  Much indignation expressed by the company at the action of the captain in compelling us to drill.  Jack and Obe met the Mooses in Chattanooga Reed House and Jack fell in love with a Miss Evelyn Hedges, a Kentucky girl who knew one of the C. E. excursionists.  The boys returned at 5 p.m. reporting a fine time in general and they brought back souvenirs of various varieties to send to the folks at home.  No dress parade & roll call at retreat on account of rain.

July 15, 1898

No rain today.  Hard drill this morning on muddy, sloppy ground and boys nearly frantic with disgust at Captain’s actions.  Captain intends making us drill at one o’clock today although drill-call does not sound until 3:30.  Parker of our company sent home yesterday being discharged from service on account of physical disability.  Many of the company intends to be absent from camp at one o’clock in order to miss drill.

About ten of company only were present at one o’clock and no drill took place.  Captain ignored our absence but we could see that he felt it.

July 16, 1898

Harris on guard.  Very hot.  Inspection of arms and quarters.  No drill today but dress parade in evening.  Co. E received applause for holding best line in regiment.  Regimental Field Day this afternoon and Co. E well represented.

July 17, 1898

Sunday.  Everybody writing letters.  Very hot.  Had group [picture] retaken.

July 18, 1898

Frankel & Whetton on guard.

July 19, 1898

Nothing of importance.

July 20, 1898

Got our pictures.  Nothing else of importance.

July 21, 1898

Intensely hot.  No drill in p.m. as a consequence but had dress parade.

July 22, 1898

Rookies (new recruits) got their new outfits.

July 23, 1898

Still very warm.  General wash day for we four.

Were issued a new shirt.  Got group picture and pasted one in front of diary.

July 24, 1898

Cody & Whetton went to Chattanooga without passes.  Walked to camp from Lytle in the rain.  Frankel & Whetton on guard.

July 25, 1898

Rain.  Cody on guard.  No drill.  Dress parade.

July 26, 1898

Rain.  Nothing of interest.

July 27, 1898

Rain.  Capt. Marquardt acted as Major in p.m. batallion[sic] drill but rain stopped drill.

July 28, 1898

Rain.  Harris on guard.  Boys talking of pay-day.

Harris & Frankel planning for trip to Chatanooga[sic].

July 29, 1898

Review of our brigade by Brig. Gen’l Frank Div. Comdr.  14th N.Y. and our regiment constitute brigade one regiment shy.

Gen’l Frank complimented 1st Mo. by saying we put up very nice appearance and would like to test our practical merits.  Rain.

July 30, 1898

Frankel on guard.  Harris and Carrol got extra fatigue for “hopping” away from wood detail and their sassing Sergt Fergus.  Harris don’t like treatment, and there are others.  Carrol intends going with Harris & Frankel to Chatanooga[sic] drill.  Rain again.

July 31, 1898

Sunday.  Inspection deferred from yesterday took place this a.m. also muster for pay.  Rain immediately after inspection.  Cody on guard.  He has decided to go with H, F & Carrol to C [Chattanooga?].  Whetton went on guard yesterday.  Harris & Carrol & “Lady” Reitz? served as company comedians in the capacity of policemen, military parlance, porters – plain english – this as result of “hopping” & dancing.

Harris has proven he has not forgotten his high school french or at any rate the acquisition of emphatic, even if not elegant, adjectives to his vocabulary gives evidence of a provicency[sic] in some kind of “french” truly wonderful as a consequence of this fatigue work.

July 31, 1898 (continued)

Signed muster roll.

July 27, 1898

Nothing of interest.  Rain.

July 28, 1898

No important event.  Rain.

July 29, 1898

2nd battalion moved its location several ----- to higher ground to East making our company the left of camp.  Our company had a long march to Lee Gordons mill via Lafayette road.  Whetton on fatigue.

August 1, 1898

Nothing of interest.  Rain.

August 2, 1898

Our company took long march to Lee Gordons Mill via Lafayette Road.

2nd Battalion moved its location to higher ground Ao. E. making our company extreme left of camp.

August 3, 1898

Expect to be paid tomorrow.  Whetton & Cody on fatigue.  Frankel in kitchen.

August 4, 1898

We did not get paid.  Nothing of interest.

August 5, 1898

Harris on guard.  Regular army officers made unit inspection of our clothing.  Mr. Budke, friend of Whettons[sic], visited us and invited him to dinner tomorrow at Chatanooga[sic].

August 6, 1898

Usual inspections.  Obe got pass for Chatanooga[sic] & wants to visit Mr. Budke.  Had good time.

August 7, 1898

Jack and two others started for Mission Ridge just after mess arrived there at 11 o’clock.  Had a fine dinner.  Jacks ate so much that he was ashamed of himself.

Coming home they were caught by the provost guard and held until Monday noon.  Whetton on guard.

August 8, 1898

Cody returned.  Cody on guard.

August 9, 1898

Payday.  Grand review of all regiments in the Park.  About 50,000 men taking part.  Rain.

August 10, 1898

Frankel & Harris went to Chattanooga.  Visited Lookout Mt.  Missed roll-call at retreat.

August 11, 1898

Inspection.  Cal and Will returned and were confined to their tent.

August 12, 1898

Nothing eventful.  Harris on guard.

August 13, 1898

Preparing to move Frankel on fatigue.  Whetton on guard.

August 14, 1898

Co. E. moved, is now 2nd Co. in 3rd Battalion.

August 15, 1898

Frankel on guard.  Harris on fatigue and Cody and Whetton in kitchen.  No drill in morning.

August 16, 1898

Visited by Mrs. Dollee.

Ground review of all troops in the park; some 43,000.  Pronounced by competent judges the grandest military display of America since the Civil War.  Missouri’s troops heartily cheered, sharing first honors with the Tennessee troops in the applause of spectators.  Co. “E”, 1st Mo. held a fine line and our captain was personally complimented by Col. Batdorf for the company’s excellent showing.

Representitives[sic] of Murray D. Borden’s (sp) army witnessed the review.  Governor of Georgia, Mayor of Chattanooga and many other notables were present.  It is estimated that 25,000 persons from Chattanooga and vicinity were present.  The review took place on the Dyer Field near Snodgrass Hill.  The cavalry passed the stand first, followed by the artillery, the Infantry coming after in company frmt.  Cody on guard.

August 17, 1898

Usual routine of camp life in the army.  Co. “E” has three gasoline lamps in company street which give us quite a number of visiting crap-shooters and gambling every night.  Cpl. Jimmy Jenkins has been appointed “lamp-lighter” by the Captain and Jimmy is now first man in the company in his own estimation.

August 18, 1898

Finished gun-rack and shelves in our tent and we have one of the neatest tents in the line.  The usual drills were held today.  Very warm.  Frankel has neuraliga[sic] and has taken up permanent quarters on Cody’s cot.

August 19, 1898

Frankel still on Cody’s cot.  Harris on guard.  The 8th New York regiment thundered? to raise a row with our regiment and put our canteen “on the burn” but we bluffed them out of it by a show of force.

August 20, 1898

Grand Field Day in which every regiment in the park took part.  Col. Cavender gave out the pleasing information that our regiment would be in St. Louis within ten days.  Everybody in camp happy as consequence.

August 21, 1898

Harris detailed in kitchen.  Whetton on guard.  Cody has gone on a foraging expedition to hunt a good Sunday dinner.  Frankel on guard.

August 22, 1898

Nothing of importance.  Rumors of movement of our regiment still going the rounds.  Cody on guard.

August 23, 1898

Whetton on fatigue duty.  Papers state we are to go to Huntsville, Alabama.

August 24, 1898

Frankel on fatigue.  In the evening a gathering of the boys took place to agitate the question of getting the regiment mustered out.  Judge Marshall was to address us but Col. Cavender put a stop to it by calling out the guard and dispersing assemblage.

August 25, 1898

Harris on fatigue.  Co. E took a long practice march to Blue Springs.  Cody in kitchen.

The question of leaving the service has become the most absorbing topic.  This morn it was announced that personal petitions could be signed which the Capt. would approve and this would be, thro. Military channels, would get to Adj’t Gen’l Corbin. Some ambigious[sic] statements by Capt. M. has had the effect of making some of the boys doubtful about whether the discharge obtained in this manner would be honorable or not.  Boxing in our street in evening.

August 26, 1898

March to Crawfish Spgs. 10 mi.

August 28, 1898

Co. E took practice march to Ringgold covering 25 miles there and return.  Attended services at M.E. church.  Only 6 men dropped out on way home.  Longest march taken by any company in our regiment.

August 29, 1898

No drill today on account of long march taken yesterday.

August 30, 1898

All drills discontinued.

August 31, 1898

Rumors of the 1st Reg. going home.  Rain

September 1, 1898

Rain.  Rumors confirmed.

September 2, 1898

Rain.  Payroll signed.  Cannot break camp on account of weather.

September 3, 1898

Boys are selling everything they can.  Expected to break camp at 3 o’clock but rain prevented.  Had to sleep on the ground.

September 4, 1898

Broke camp at 9 a.m. and marched to Lytle where we boarded train at 4 o’clock and left at 6:11 sharp.

September 5, 1898

Nothing eventful on the way home.  Arrived at Union Station at 8:30 a.m..  Great demonstration.  Harris sick & taken home from station.  Coffee & sandwitches[sic] given to the boys.  Train pulled down to Ivory Station for the night.

September 6, 1898

Camp pitched about a mile from street cars.  Visitors arrive very early.  Rain.  Banquet given in honor of the return of the 1st Mo.  First square meal for a long time.  Cody & Frankel go home for the night.

September 7, 1898

Nothing of interest.

September 8, 1898

Frankel taken away in an ambulance.  Harris Frankel & Cody miss out on pay.  Reg. furloughed until October 10, 1898.

October 10, 1898

Reported for duty.

October 31, 1898

Mustered out of U.S. service.

A ribbon commemorating the unit's return which was kept in the diary


Diary of Aubrey Whetton

Return to Unit Profiles

Return to First-hand Accounts Page

Return to Home Front Page

Return to Main Page