Building Erection Chronology

Newark, New Jersey

The original unit of The Clark Thread Company was established on Front Street, Newark, in rented property, which was previous to the erection of any company owned plants.

In 1860, the original five-story Finishing and Spooling Mill (40' x  80') was erected on the East side of Passaic Street, Newark.

1865 - Spinning & Twisting Mill (300' x  100') built in Newark.

1865 - Spool making Mill - Machine Shop - Cotton Stores and Picker
           House built in Newark.

1873 - General Office and Finishing Mill erected at Clark and
           Passaic Streets, Newark.

1873 - Bleach and Dye House erected.

1880 - Extended Spinning Mill and Dye House, Newark.

1885 - Office building erected at Clark and Odgen Streets, Newark.

1890 - Finishing Mill built on Ogden Street, Newark.

1920 - Extended Finishing - Spooling and Shipping building to
           Governeur Street on Ogden Street, and also on Passaic
           Street, Newark.

1920 - New Plant Hospital built in Newark.

1922 - Cafeteria and recreation building opened.  It became the
           Research Building in 1948.


East Newark, New Jersey

1880 - Spinning and Twisting Mills No. 2 erected. 
           Five stories (300' x 125' each).

1880 - Spool Making Mill - Passaic Avenue, North of Erie Railroad.
           One story.  Later transferred to Stowell MacGregor
           Corporation, Maine.

1888 - Spinning and Twisting Mills No. 3 erected. 
           Five stories (300' x 125' each).

1888 - East Newark Chimney built.
          Circumference at base - 90'.  Height - 335'.

1907 / 1912 - New boiler rooms.

1907 - New Power House and first turbine.  Electrification of all
           mills started.

1908 - Cotton Stores Nos. 8 and 9 (45' x 100').

1916 - Fumigating Plant.

1918 - Power House extended and electrical installation increased
          to meet all mill drives.

1920 - Powdered Fuel Plant.

1920 - Plant Hospital established in East Newark - Hose House.

1922 - Cafeteria and recreation building opened.

1923 - The letters "O.N.T." were placed on the smokestack.
           Each letter weighs 1,000-lbs.


Mile-End Spool Cotton Mill, East Newark, New Jersey

1873 - First section of the Finishing Mill.
           Corner of Central and Passaic Avenues, East Newark.

1882 - Second section erected at Orchard Street and Passaic Avenue.

1883 - Spinning and Twisting Mill No. 1 built.  (250' x 125').

1888 - Spinning and Twisting Mill No. 2 built.  (200' x 125').
           Five stories.

Original Manager - Mr. Richard Hill
New York Agents - Thomas Russell and Company, New York.


Georgia

1931 - Clarkdale Mill built.

1937 - Toccoa Mill built.

1943 - Pelham Mill built.

1943 - Spool Making Unit instituted at Albany.

1947 - Acworth Mill built.

1947 - Albany Mill built.

1947 - Thomasville Mill built.

1947 - Printing at Bainbridge instituted.

Information graciously provided by The Coats and Clark Company.

 

East Newark Home Page

Hudson County Genealogy


   

Send Me Email
Copyright  Ken Forbes 1999. All Rights Reserved.
The content supplied by Coats and Clark remains their property.