Location of Stations on the O & A


Main Line

Alexandria – Station was located on the southwest corner of Duke and Henry Streets near the company's roundhouse. None of the original O&A rail-yard buildings remain.

Edsall – Began as a siding built by the USMRR during the Civil War. Named for Horace Edsall who owned "Mount Hebron" the property north of the tracks. "Edsall's Hill" was used as a Union picket post and signal station throughout the war. It became a regular station long after the war with a depot located on the southeast side of the intersection of track and a no longer existing road leading from Edsall’s Mill to the old Fairfax Road (today’s Franconia Road). Building no longer extent.

SpringfieldStation house was located on southeast side of intersection of track and Backlick road. A Freight depot was located on the north side of the track opposite the station house. The Station House was built by Henry Daingerfield on his farm "Springfield". A VRE station is now located here, original buildings no longer extent.

BurkeStation was located on the northeast side of the intersection of the old track-bed and Burke road. Named for Silas Burke, landholder and director on the O&A Board. The old circa-1870s depot still stands, but has been renovated into a business. A Virginia Historic marker sits in front of it.

Fairfax – The pre-war structure was located on the southeast side of the intersection of the track and old Ox roadbed. The station was burned during the war. It was rebuilt after the war on the northwest side. A later station building built by the Southern Railway in 1891 replaced this building. In 1903 a final station was built due to the double tracking project. This last station was removed from near the track and is now the Fairfax Station Museum.

Sangster – The depot was located on the northeast side of the intersection of old track-bed and old Colchester road. The site is now a private driveway. The Station was named for landholder Edward Sangster, Sheriff for Fairfax County. None of the wartime buildings stand today.

Devereux (Clifton) – Originally began as a siding on the south side of the mainline built by USMRR. The stop was named for John H. Devereux, USMRR Superintendent. The name was later changed to Clifton following the war. The Clifton station was located on the southeast side of the intersection of track and Clifton road. The Building is no longer extent. A caboose and a Virginia Historic marker is now on site.

Union MillsDepot was located on the southeast side of intersection of track and no longer existing road leading from Centreville to Union Mills. The area was considerably disturbed during the double tracking project and none of the Buildings are extent.

Tudor Hall (Manassas Junction) – The first O & A depot was a modest structure on the Tudor Hall Plantation near the present day Fairview road crossing. Upon the joining of the tracks with the Manassas Gap Railroad a single station was built between the two lines near the present day Candy factory building. Neither of these old depots are extent. The present station is located on the south side of the tracks and serves as the city's visitor center.

Bristoe – Named for Robert Bristow, large landholder in the 18th Century. The company's depot was built opposite the Davis house on the southwest corner of the tracks and Bristow Road. Destroyed during the war, then rebuilt. It was replaced by the Southern Railway during the double-track project in the early 20th century. The buildings are no longer extent.

Nokesville – The USMRR built a siding here during the war on Orville Nokes' "White Hall" farm. A regular station was built after the war. The station was located on the southeast side of the intersection of the track and main road in Nokesville. A freight depot of 20th century vintage still stands on the site.

Catlett – Station named for Samuel Catlett. The wartime station/store was on the southeast side of the intersection of the track and road, a freight depot was located opposite it on the north side of the track. The building standing on the southeast corner today may be standing on the stone foundation of the original station house/store. The freight depot is no longer extent. The store located today on the northwest corner was built in 1866 by the Trenis family.

Warrenton Junction (Calverton)Station was located in the wye of the junction. Burned during the war and replaced. Burned again in 1944 during a derailment and rebuilt. No building extent today.

Bealeton – Named for John G. Beale. Large Station house located on northeast side of intersection of road and track (near today’s Rt. 17 overpass). A freight depot stood opposite it on south side of track. Both buildings were burned by Union troops in October, 1863. Southern RR rebuilt depot in early 20th century. This building was removed from track and placed near the library.

Rappahannock Station (Remington) – Original depot stood on the north side of the tracks just south of the crossing at Tinpot Run on land granted by William Bowen. The original was destroyed during the war. A later freight depot stands today at the northeast side of road crossing in Remington.

BrandyOriginal station was located on north side of tracks nearly opposite of the old Brandy Tavern. A drawing, by Edwin Forbes (dated September 15, 1863) confirms the look and location of the buildings. In the winter 1863-1864, USMRR used the station on the north side of the tracks and built additional siding platforms on either side of the main line. None of these features remain. A postwar station was located on the southeast side of the tracks. This station building no longer stands.

Culpeper – The present day station (circa 1904) sits near the location of the original. It serves as the town's visitor center.

Mitchell – Named for William Mitchell. Original station was located on the east side of the tracks, slightly south of the Mitchell road crossing. Buildings burned by Federal Cavalry in September 1864. A postwar station was built just north of the Mitchell road crossing also on the east side of the tracks. Neither structure remains standing today.

Rapidan - Original station stood very near where the later postwar station now stands. The original was burned by Union Cavalry on September 19, 1864. The postwar station, now a residence, was built circa 1870. A freight depot was opposite the passenger station and later moved to its present location just north of the passenger station. In 1903 the railroad tracks were moved west of the original route by-passing the village.

Orange - Present Station sits on the site of the wartime station.

Madison Run - Wartime depot was located in what is today the northwest corner of the intersection of the tracks and Madison Run road. The original road however was north of the present road making the depot appear to be on the south side of the road on some maps. No building stands on the site today.

Gordonsville - The O&A joined the Virginia Central RR at Gordonsville. The O&A's depot being on the east side of its track at the end of what is today East Street. It no longer stands. The Virginia Central depot was also on the east side of its track just north of the Exchange Hotel. This depot survives and is being restored as a museum. Later, a Union Station was built in the wye formed by the 2 railroads. The Union Station no longer stands.

Virginia Central Railroad Stations:

The following links give details on each station between Gordonsville and Charlottesville on the Virginia Central Railroad.

All are from the excellent site "C&O Piedmont Subdivision" by Larry Z. Daily.

Lindsay Station

Cobham Station

Keswick Station

Shadwell Station

Charlottesville - At Charlottesville, Orange and Alexandria Trains heading south left the Virginia Central tracks to begin it's southward trek to Lynchburg.